Monday, February 21, 2011

Justin Bieber Thoughts.

I was a little too young to go ape shit over Bobby Sherman, but on the other hand I always felt too mature for the Defranco Family. The same sort of dichotomy was needed for the given choice between two rated G movies that my daughter wanted see, Gnomio and Juliet and Never Say Never, The Justin Bieber movie. I never get to see movies, I would probably go see Black Swan if it was up to me, but these were my options. Justin Beiber, as a person is intriguing, and Gnomio and Juliet has a gross version of Crocodile Rock by Nelly Furtado and the appalling Sir Elton, the choice was pretty easy for me. Sadly enough both movies are in 3D. Bummer.
I heavily steered Lucy’s hand by stating that I was going to see Never Say Never, and reminded her that I was her ride. She understood that and fell happily in line. After watching this movie I’m not going to say that I have Beiber fever, but I will say that Justin Bieber is easily better than Lenny Kravitz, and quite possibly better than Vampire Weekend. The movie is a straight up pop-oganda film, you almost get the feeling they are grooming Justin to be a Mayor or something, except for the fact that they didn’t get into his thinking and point of view, I figure he has some, but they just give you a couple facts about his upbringing and leave it at that. The kid does look pretty good in purple, but most importantly he is a drummer. His upbringing is that of a drummer, big points for that. I’ll give him quite a bit of leeway, like I do other drummer/singers like Phil Collins and Karen Carpenter. I give Phil some space, but he has committed treasonous acts upon my sensibilities with songs like It’s No Fun Being an Illegal Alien, and being in a band with a guy that was in Mike and The Mechanics, there are limits to my leeway, but still a little space. I am a song lover and there really is only one song of Justin’s that I like, “You Smile I Smile”. It has a super pretty sentiment, and dang pretty hook, that I’m sure is ripped off from somewhere else, I just can’t place it. That feeling of not being able to place a ripoffed melody is a pretty big compliment. So to recap, I liked the movie, the slo-mo hair flip ruled, and the crazy screaming and crying kids made me mist up. I didn’t like the stylist/best buddy guy at all, but I did really like the vocal coach. Usher ends up kind of looking like a hanger on who has invested some money into Bieber’s career. I didn’t learn much about Justin, but I now have one question for people who hate Justin Bieber: Why?

2 comments:

  1. Hater's gonna hate, Tom. Under similar circumstances, I ended up seeing High School Musical II at the movie theater (what we do for our kids!!) and I came away with a fondness for those kids...good, clean fun I say, which is harder and harder to find anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate everyone younger than me and more famous than me....that might include you, Tom. I love your writing.

    ReplyDelete